Since 1927, May has been recognized as Better Hearing and Speech month, providing awareness to the community about both hearing and speech disorders and the life altering treatment available for individuals who suffer from hearing and speech impairment.
Did you know that 36 million Americans suffer from hearing loss, making it the third most common health problem in the United States. Untreated hearing loss can affect your ability to understand speech and negatively impacts several aspects of your emotional and social well-being. Hearing loss can be caused by many everyday things:
- Advanced Age is the most common cause of hearing loss. Exposure to noise over time wears down the ear. Individuals in careers such as carpentry, military, mining, transportation, and agriculture are certain careers that are exposed to dangerous levels of noise every day.
- Certain medications and illnesses can impair your hearing. There are over 200 medications that have a track record of triggering hearing and balance side effects. These include but are not limited to antibiotics, aspirin, chemotherapy drugs and many more. Illnesses such as high blood pressure, heart disease and diabetes put the ear at risk by interfering with the ear’s blood supply.
- Infection or ear wax can cause hearing loss by blocking the ear canals which reduces hearing.
- And many more..
It is important to know that unlike many diseases, hearing loss is treatable. The problem is that the majority of the time it is overlooked or ignored, making it harder to manage. Early detection contributes to a better quality of life, shorter treatment periods, and can be cheaper if you catch it early.
If you believe that you are suffering from hearing loss, click here to try our free, interactive and easy online hearing test that evaluates your ability to hear tones and certain words. This test provides you with next steps if it is determined that you are suffering from hearing loss.
It is important to note the wide array of hearing instruments that Starkey HearCare has available to you if you are struggling with hearing loss. We have recently introduced our new technology, the Pride Series which include Pride, Pride IIC and Honor.
Pride: Pride is Starkey HearCares newest full family of wireless products focused on performance, comfort, personalization and connectivity. Some of the key features of this hearing aid include:
- Precision microphone technology and advanced noise reduction and speech recognition system designed to amplify meaningful sounds—such as speech—while reducing unwanted background noise
- The only technology that replicates high-frequency speech cues into lower frequencies, where they’re easier to hear
- Ear-to-ear communication designed to mimic how our ears typically listen and hear
- The JustTalk feature on SurfLink Mobile turns your hearing aids into both your cell phone microphone and receiver
- Direct-to-hearing-aid streaming of TVs, computers, MP3 players and more when synced with either SurfLink Mobile or SurfLink Media
- Feedback elimination system that eliminates buzzing and whistling
Pride IIC: The first custom and completely invisible, digital and full programmable hearing aid. The Pride IIC Synergy fits comfortably inside the second bend of your ear canal-completely out of sight and completely off your mind. Some of the key features of this hearing aid include:
- Smallest, most advanced hearing aids by Starkey
- Featuring Voice iQ, Starkey’s latest noise reduction and speech preservation system designed to filter out background noise and reduce listening effort
- Deep canal aid with Comfort Fit
- Designed to be removed daily to promote better ear health
- Virtually no whistling or buzzing
- Custom molded for your ear
- Designed to work on the phone
- T2 remote, you can adjust memory or volume using any touch-tone phone
- PureWave Feedback Eliminator greatly reduces buzzing and whistling
- Sound compression technology designed to differentiate soft speech from loud, for a more enhanced and natural sound quality
- The only technology that replicates high-frequency speech cues into lower frequencies, where they’re easier to hear.
Honor: The Honor is the made for iPhone hearing aids which collect directly to your iPhone, iPad or iPhone touch via the TruLink App. Some of the key features of this hearing aid include:
- Stream calls from your iPhone directly to your hearing aids using Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology
- Deliver pristine sound and exceptional listening clarity
- Eliminate buzzing and whistling with our feedback canceller
- Help you hear comfortably in noise
- Stream FaceTime, music and more directly to your hearing aids
- Siri Integration: Have texts and emails read directly to your hearing aids
- Use your iPhone to easily remotely control your hearing aids
- Personalized location settings via the TruLink app, triggered by your phone’s GPS
- HydraShield nano-coating repels both water and wax
- Advanced noise reduction technology and a precise directional microphone work together to reduce noise and help make speech easier to hear in today’s challenging environments
- Patented technology replicates high-frequency sounds in lower frequencies where they’re easier to hear and understand
- Sound compression technology helps differentiate soft speech from loud, for a more natural sounding experience
- The SoundSpace tool on the TruLink app lets you make minor adjustments to sound quality to suit your particular preferences
- Geotagged memories automatically switch modes when the GPS feature in your iPhone detects you are in a tagged location. (Home memory activates when patient arrives at their home)
- HydraShield nano-coating repels both water and wax
- Use your iPhone as a remote to control and adjust your hearing aids easily
Starkey HearCare is here to take care of your hearing needs. We understand that during the transition to amplification, the road may become bumpy at times as you learn to adjust to your hearing aids and a whole new world of sounds. Your brain will gradually relearn to hear better, but it takes time. From the first step to the last, we’ll be at your side, ready to assist, should a need arise. Now is the time to take the first step and treat yourself to better hearing!